Or, if you don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, I say Happy Thursday!
Across most of America today giant meals are being cooked, served, and eaten. People who normally only eat small ammounts are going back for seconds….or thirds.
There is pie. So much pie. Pie everywhere!
My Day Thus Far
Last night my mother in law and I started putting our meal together. We prepped the bird so it only had to be put in the oven. We grated the cheese to prepare the Stovetop Mac n Cheese. Thank the powers that be for her food processor, because I know I would not have wanted to grate 2 pounds of cheese by hand! (But I would have because….mac n cheese)
This morning I woke up early(ish) and went over to get the bird in the oven and help make everything else.
By early I mean I set my alarm for 7, then turned it off and got up at 7:55 to throw on yesterdays clothes and run across the street to my in-laws house. She had open heart surgery about 5 weeks ago and totally isn’t up to doing the whole meal herself.
Messy, Messy, Messy
Today is very wet where I live. The rain has not stopped falling all day, and I may have gotten a LITTLE wet running back and forth a few times between houses.
This is much to the joy of my husband who has to work today and decided weeks ago that he was going to hate everything about today because he has to work. If there was such a thing as a Thanksgiving Grinch, he would be it.
Meanwhile I have to work today too (after having cooked all morning and cleaned a kitchen afterwards) and I’m in the most Thankful mood I’ve been in years.
This might be due in part to the St. John’s Wort I’ve been taking. My emotions are a tad more settled than they have been in years past.
Cooking with my mother in law, my children playing nicely with each other, the fact that I still have a job to go to so Christmas isn’t all bleak. I have a lot to Give Thanks about this year.
“Gratitude means to recognize the good in your life, be thankful for whatever you have, some people may not even have one of those things you consider precious to you (love, family, friends etc). Each day give thanks for the gift of life.You are blessed”
ALL THE LITTLE THINGS
(that I’m thankful for today)
- All the food in the photo to the left. It was a wonderful meal, even if I did cook some of it myself.
- My Mother in Law is recovering amazingly from her surgery. She helped make a lot of the meal.
- The roof I have over my head, the heat being piped through my walls, and everything else giving me comfort on this wet day.
- The internet, letting me share Thanksgiving Day with my friends and family spread all over the state, the country and the world.
- My children, who got sick AFTER their birthdays last week were both all better and able to enjoy today.
- The coffee I had to drink, because I’m not a morning person and that meal wasn’t going to cook itself.
- Do you find it offensive if people say Happy Turkey Day instead of Happy Thanksgiving?
- What do you give thanks for in YOUR life today?
- Do you celebrate the day with a traditional meal? What is your meal?